Sunday, December 20, 2015

If you could have lived in a previous era, which era would it have been? Why?

Moritz is not in England, but the castle is the general idea...

I guess I would choose Regency England if I really had to choose another era. Its a great era to read about, and the writings of Jane Austen and her counterparts demonstrates that women were given some freedom to become thinking creatures. But one must not forget that until very recently, women enjoyed very little freedom and in some areas of the world they still do not!

Also one must not forget that Austen came from a relatively privileged family - Although her father was "only a clergywoman, he was a gentleman - which means he came from the top tier of English society, and even if the Austen family did not have it easy and were not  millionaires, they certainly never needed know hunger.

In the modern era, classes and stations have become much more varied and even a simple person, who has a job and good sense to laying some money aside, can live a good and peaceful life. We enjoy many freedoms, including writing on the web for platforms like this one. No one stops me from writing and saying whatever is on my mind.

I think we are living in the best time yet, and I can only hope that this improvement will continue into the future, even after my lifetime (at least my children will be able to enjoy it).

Wishing you a best present day,

Ofra

No comments:

Post a Comment